BCSC is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
BCSC may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page periodically to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 1st March 2018 and was last updated on the 13th February 2022
What we may collect
We may collect the following information:
- contact information including email address. This information is not sold to any third party.
- analytical information including demographics, behaviour and acquisition.
- other information relevant to member surveys
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- internal record keeping.
- we may use the information to improve our products and services.
- we may periodically send promotional emails about membership, club events, training or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- pass information through to card processing providers to authorise online payments.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
BCSC is committed to using as few cookies as possible, however, some are strictly necessary for technical reasons in order for the web user to get full use of the website and the features within it. BCSC puts small files (known as ‘cookies’) onto your computer to collect information about how you browse the site.
BCSC cookies are NOT used to identify you personally.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes.
Overall, cookies help us provide a better website by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you other than the data you choose to share with us.
Cookies currently in use on our website
- WordPress– built into the website platform to check if your browser has cookies enabled or disabled. A cookie is also set if you leave a comment on our website. Currently, this feature is disabled on the BCSC website
- Google Analytics – Helps us improve our site. It gives us information on the pages you visit while on our website. How long you spend on each, how you got to the site and what you click on while you’re visiting the site.
- BCSC is hosted on WordPress.com and make use of different third-party applications and services to enhance the experience of website visitors. These include social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter (through the use of sharing buttons), or embedded content from Youtube or Google Maps. As a result, cookies may be set by these third parties and used by them to track your online activity. We have no direct control over the information that is collected by these cookies.
We use MMJ to administer our membership. It allows you to update your personal information and process membership payments.
Cookies in use…
- “canset” – Used to test if cookies can be set.
- “dv” – Contains monitor dimensions for sizing images.
- “mm” – membermojo preferences, such as sign-in method and cookie settings.
- “mmsession*” – Present for the current session to keep it active.
- “remember_*” – Remembers your ID between sessions.
- “trust_*” – records that the browser is trusted by membermojo.
All our payments either through our website or MemberMojo use PayPal as its card processor
Cookies in use…
- “paypal.com” – Set by PayPal when making PayPal payments.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, we should note that we will not control your privacy after that. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and confidentiality of any information you provide whilst visiting such sites. Such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties, which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. If you would like a copy of the information contained on you, please write to Commodore, Babbacombe Corinthian Sailing Club. Fore Street. St Marychurch. Torquay. Devon.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.