Annual Prize Giving
Welcome to our Babbacombe Prize Giving…
What a great turn out we had for our Annual Prize Giving where sailors and volunteers came together to celebrate the end of another sailing season.
2018 has been a busy year! Although we had the occasional challenge with either too little or too much wind, there has been more sailing sessions than ever before. Kicking off in March, we ran an extensive training programme with more people qualifying as Power Boat drivers or RYA Level 1, 2, 3 & 4 sailors than previous years. We also had time to train two sailors up to Assistant Instructor! For a second year we provided social sailing and Friday night RYA OnBoard junior sessions which was well attended and a great success.
Prize Giving is not just about our sailors. None of the sailing offered at BCSC would happen if it was not for the mass of dedicated volunteers who support us. Each session needs four safety boaters, race officer, beach masters, registrars as well as instructors for training. A massive thank you to you all.
A special mention must also go to our new trainee sailors who have come down and attended our sailing sessions. You may not have been fortunate enough to pick up a trophy this year, but I am sure with some more practise you will be picking up an award this time next year.
All winner photos are displayed in our gallery. Click for more photos
Well done to all our winners
Sailing Series & Trophy Races
Spring Trophy Race
- Mixed Fleet – Charles Dear Trophy – Sarah Probert
Tuesday Early Spring Series
- Mixed Fleet – Kayley Cup – John Bush
- Tasar Fleet – President’s Quaiche – Neil Spacagna/Steve Eustice
- Cadet Fleet – Fireball Crew Cup – Faye Chorlton
Sunday Early Summer Series
- Mixed Fleet – Victory Galleon – John Bush
- Tasar Fleet – Freeman Trophy – Dom/Liam Jennings
Sunday Early Summer Trophy
- Mixed Fleet – Thomas Cup – Matt Frettsome
- Pico Fleet – George Gill Cup – John Bush
Tuesday Early Summer Series
- Mixed Fleet – Nostir Trophy – Stuart Moon
- Tasar Fleet – Typhoon Cup – John Lawton/ Paul Little
- Cadet Fleet – Denys Phillips Shield – Sarah Probert
Tuesday Late Summer Trophy
- Mixed Fleet – Monson Trophy – Joe Farwell
- Tasar Fleet – Norman Gill Trophy – Neil Spacagna /Steve Eustice
- Best Pico – Commodore Trophy – Matt Frettsome
Tuesday Late Summer Series
- Mixed Fleet – Rose Bowl – John Mitchell
- Tasar Fleet – President’s Cup – Neil Spacagna/Steve Eustice
Tuesday Early Summer Trophy
- Mixed Fleet – Kent Memorial Trophy – Joe Farwell
Sunday Late Summer Series
- Mixed Fleet – Solitaire Trophy – Guy H / Katrina Winter/ Stevie Cuff
- Cadet Fleet – Fabiola Cup – John Bush
Tuesday Autumn Series
- Tasar Fleet – John Turner Cup – Neil Spacagna/Steve Eustice
- Mixed Fleet – Peter Powell Trophy – John Bush
- Cadet Fleet – Fox Cup (Novices) – Bryony Williams
Picnic Trophy Race
- Gwen Flower Trophy – John bush
Twilight Trophy Race
- Mixed Fleet – Hunt Memorial Trophy – John Bush
- Cadet Fleet – Bradbury Cup – Katrina Winter/ Callie Freer
Sunday Autumn Series
- Cadet Fleet – Davis Cup – John Bush
- Most Improved Crew -Crew’s Prize – Liam Jennings
- Most Improved Junior Helm – Community Shield – Katrina Winter
- Most Improved Singlehander – John & Josie Trophy – Patricia Mander
- Best Turnout – Sam Peters Salver – John Mitchell
- Outstanding New Sailor 2018 – Principle Trophy – Stevie Cuff
- Special Achievement Award – Mayeress Salva – Sarah Probert
Safety Boat Support Award
- Silver Rib Trophy – Alan Horner
- Big thank you to all our 2018 Safety Boaters
- Michael Jamous , Lucy Fenner , Ben Woodward , Jonathan Woodward , Jonjo van Martins , Jas Targowski, Kuba Targowski & Edward Fogarty.
- Stevie Cuff, Katrina Winter & Liam Jennings
- Paul Little , John Bush, Jim Holgate, Matt Frettsome, Roger Allen, Sam Crane, Mark Hingston, Patricia Mander, Jayne Orme, Adam Parkes, Bryony Williams & Callie Freer
- Sarah Probert & Steve Norman
- Glenn Norris, Paul Little Peter Pfeiffer, Henry Willis, Neil Mander ,Chris Stephens, Maceij Targowski, Alex Morgan, Mark Hingston & Sue Bailey
- Dom Jennings, Stuart Saunders, John Mitchell, Sarah Probert, Alan Horner, Connie Hamilton, John Haywood, Cathy Gillard, Mark Hingston, Julie Hingston, Guy Hester, Neil Mander
- Jan Hester, Stuart Saunders, Adrian Mark, Steve Norman, John Mitchell, Guy Hester, Neil Mander, Alan Horner, Jim Horner, Andy Probert
Special Mention to all our volunteers!
- Sailing Support Team, including Race Officers, Safety Boat Drivers, Beachmasters, Registrars and Galley:-
Guy Hester, Andrew Probert, Andrew Chorlton, John Lawton, Roger Southcombe, Cathy Gillard, Neil Spacagna and Lizzie Bull. Assistant Instructors Sarah Probert and Steve Norman.
- Volunteer of the Year Award
It is not usual we single out individual volunteers because we have some many helpers in both the top and bottom clubhouses who each give such alot of time to the club. We felt, however, it was fitting to give a special mention to Karin. Karin really is an all-rounder who even at short notice will jump in to volunteer. It does not matter if it is registrar, beachmaster, safety boat, galley, helping in the top clubhouse with bar and social events or even watering all the plants, she gives a huge amount of time to our club. A BIG thank you Karin.
If you would like to see more pictures from prize giving, please look in the gallery. Special thank you to Paul Levie for Cary Park Tennis Club for being our official photographer for the night. I am sure Paul will not mind you saving any of the award photos.